No products in the cart
Installing A MistAway System For Horse Barns
Installing the nozzle circuit:
Generally, nozzles should be placed every 8 – 10 ft in the barn since there won’t be much drift of the spray.
- Place 1 nozzle over the dead center of each stall (usually at 8’ to 10’ high).
- For a red iron barn, string a steel cable over the stalls and tie-wrap the tubing to it.
- Tubing can also be stretched between the wood joists.
- Install nozzles around the wash stall.
- Install nozzles wherever the horses are combed down.
- Install nozzles around, but not over, where the feed is kept.
- A ball valve can be installed in that area to keep the nozzles turned off; If flies show up, cover the feed and open the valve to mist that area.
- Install nozzles in covered outdoor areas around the barn where flies hang out.
- Schedule the first mist of the day right before the horses are turned out in the morning (so they get a coat of the permethrin on them).
- Schedule a mist cycle right before the stalls are cleaned.
- Schedule a mist cycle when the horses are brought back in.
- Schedule a mist cycle mid-afternoon when some flies may start showing up.
- Schedule any other additional mist cycles that are deemed necessary, if any.
The following article from 2003 goes over basic information on the horse barn application: https://www.equisearch.com/articles/mist-away-those-flies.